2 10 ounce bags of fresh spinach leaves
1 large onion chopped
1 cup of a can of tomato sauce
2 garlic cloves chopped
2 inches of fresh ginger chopped or grated
1 thai or jalepeno chopped
2 Tbsp of canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
fresh squeeze of lemon
2 TBSP of Maani’s Chicken Tikka Masala Spice Blend
pot of water to boil the spinach
Optional – you can add Paneer Cheese or boneless chicken or cubed potato
½ cup of heavy cream or cashew cream
- First boil the 2 bags of fresh spinach in a pot of hot water until wilted about 5 minutes.
- Add the wilted spinach into a blender or nutria bullet with 1 cup of the water in the pot to help the spinach blend into a coarse puree but not like baby food. You can also do this in batches if preferred and set aside.
- Heat a heavy bottom pot with the oil and add the chopped onion, garlic, green chili’s and ginger then sauté until golden brown approx. 10-15 minutes.
- Once the onions are golden brown in color add the Maani’s Spice Blend and sauté with the onions to heat the spices and unleash their oils but don’t burn.
- Then add the tomato sauce and mix with the spices and tomato’s, this should turn into a thick paste. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Now add in the pureed spinach and mix together till well incorporated.
- Mix in the heavy cream