1 cup of dry masoor dal (aka red lentils)
3 cups water
2 Tbsp Canola or Vegetable oil
1 onion chopped
2 inches of ginger grated
1 green chili, Serrano, jalepeno, thai
2 large tomatoes diced
cilantro for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
naan and basmati to serve
2 Tbsp of Chicken tikka Masala Spice Blend
- First we need to properly wash the lentils for approximately 5 rinses until all the water runs off clear by washing the lentils in a large pot. The water in the pot should not be cloudy and should be transparent.
- Then combine 3 cups of water with the 1 cup of lentils in the pot and boil till the lentils are tender approximately 15-20 minutes. There will be foam that collects on top which you can skim off.
- While the lentils are cooking, make the tadka ( where all the flavor lies) Tadka is a cooking method
where onion, spices and aromatics are cooked in oil to release their best flavors. Most dals are gluten free, high in fiber and protein, low in fat and calories and packed with flavor.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add the oil, onion, ginger and green chili’s & fry until golden brown.
- Once cooked add the Maani’s Chicken Tikka Masala Spice Blend, salt and pepper and stir everything together for a few minutes then add the chopped tomatoes and mix in till the tomatoes cook and become saucy or jammy.
- Next add the tadka to the cooked lentils and simmer over medium high heat for another 5 minutes to infuse the flavors together.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with gobi alu or any roasted veggie, rice and naan. You’ll definitely be going back for more and more, but you can because its so good for you!