Canola oil, as needed
1/2 red pepper
1/2 red onion, thickly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
Freshly cracked black pepper, as needed
1 tsp curry powder, plus more as needed
2 medium cloves garlic, grated
1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and grated
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 pound ground beef, 80/20
2 teaspoons ketchup
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
cucumber, lettuce and brioche bun
Mint and Curry Aioli:
1/2 good quality mayonnaise
10 mint leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 lime, zested and juiced?
Spiced Cumin Potato Fries
2 medium potatoes, cut into1 inch strips (as French fries)
½ tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp red chili powder
3 Tbs canola oil
1 tsp salt or to taste
6-8 cobs of corn
1 Tbs Ground Cumin
1 Tbs Paprika
½ Tsp Chili Powder/Cayenne
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 ½ Tsp Salt
1 Lime cut in wedges
1 bunch of cilantro
Finely chop the onions and pepper and set aside. Reserve the jalapeno for the aioli.? In a small saute pan over medium heat, sauté the onions, red peppers, garlic, ginger and jalepeno for 8 minutes until onions are soft. Then add curry powder, turmeric, coriander, cumin, and garam masala, and allow the spices to toast in the onion mixture until fragrant and become slightly darker in color, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Allow the spices to cool slightly.? In a medium-sized bowl, combine the beef, the spice mixture, ketchup, brown sugar and soy sauce. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (Marinating overnight is even better to help the flavors marry.)? Remove the burger mixture from the refrigerator, and divide it into 4 equal-sized quadrants. Brush the patties with olive oil, and put them the grill or a medium sized pan on the stove. Cook the patties to medium-rare or medium doneness, about 3 minutes on the first side, then 4 to 5 minutes on the second side. Make sure to rotate the patties once on each side to achieve nice crosshatch marks. Once cooked, transfer the patties to a plate and tent them with aluminum foil. Allow them to rest for at least 5 minutes.?
Aioli: Combine the mayonnaise, mint, lime juice and curry powder.? Mix well until the mixture is well integrated, Set aside.?
Assembly of Burger:
- While the burgers rest, halve the brioche rolls, and put them, cut side down, on the grill grates. Toast until they are a light golden brown, about 10 seconds. Set aside.
- To serve, generously spread 1 tablespoon of aioli onto each side of the rolls. Press 4 to 5 slices of cucumber into the mayonnaise on the bottom of the roll. Top the cucumbers with a handful of baby lettuce, then a burger patty, and finally, approximately. Cover with the top of the buns and serve immediately with the street corn and and Spiced Cumin Potato Fries.
Directions for Street Corn
1. Preheat Grill to Medium
2. Mix all the spices together in a small bowl
3. Grill your corn turning it occasional until is nicely charred and cooked. (If the corn is larger, then microwave the corn before grilling)
4. Remove from grill when done and dip the lime wedge in the spice mixture and squeeze the lime and rub the spices on each side of the corn.
5. Sprinkle the spiced corn with cilantro and Enjoy!
Directions for Cumin Fries:
- Heat the oil in a pan, Test by adding one cumin seed to the oil, if it crackles right away then oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds to the oil and all the dry spices and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes into the spiced oil and sauté until cooked, about 15 minutes over medium high heat.
- Remove from the pan onto a kitchen paper towel and serve while hot.